Tuesday 21 January 2014

Dealing with the climate

This morning I awoke to a cold weather and windchill warning. My body was telling me to beg my wife to drive me into school, or at least take the bus, but then my stubbornness kicked in, I layered up, and got on my bike. Winter weather is probably the least attractive aspect of commuting via bicycle, and I can't say it didn't nearly scare me off. Once you get over the weather, and learn how you personally react to it, the ride isn't actually too bad and even lends an even stronger sense of accomplishment.

A big issue with winter biking is bike lanes: they are often few and far between in the summer, but in the winter the maintenance... leaves something to be desired. They are often iced, covered by snow banks, or if you're lucky, layered in salt. Fortunately, over the past few years the city has had a pilot project on bike lane maintenance, and the sections that they are maintaining which I experienced (for at least a little while, Sterling in Westdale), is actually not bad to ride on. If you are interested I recommend filling out a survey to help the City of Hamilton see who is using them and if they are having an impact. I'll be filling it out daily to give them lots to work with ;)

Another massive hurdle to cycling is how to dress.. I'm still walking the line between warmth and fashion (luckily I have a locker at Mac now, but no changeroom or anything) but the basic idea is to wear some good insulating base layers, windproof outer layers, and then learn what other insulation you need in between. It is important to remember that your extremities are most prone to frostbite (especially ears, feet and hands) so make sure they're covered; the key factor here is the wind, so windproof gloves are a must. Everyone is different, but remember that your body is a furnace (an adage anyone who has sat through any of my cold-weather classes is sick of by now); if you feed, insulate and hydrate it, it will do the rest!

The last thing I'd like to say is that I think it is important, for myself and any others who view cycling as an important step towards sustainability in our city, to be seen in inclement weather like this. Those who are hesitant to pick up a bike for commuting or even just for fun to start, are not very likely to do so if they don't see anybody out there. Likewise, if people aren't using the bike lanes, the city has no incentive to maintain/expand them. While it is proven in some cities that cycling infrastructure almost always increases the number of cyclists, I think we need to be visible as a base group to encourage that initial growth. Visibility is crucial.

Cycling is only one step towards sustainability, however I think it is one which has a rippling effect on people. The fact that there is almost a field of thought around 'cycling' and 'cyclists' shows me that it is a powerful lifestyle change. Certainly the extra exercise, time in your community and those of your neighbours, the sunlight and the fresh air, must all be factors in this, and I am fairly confident that these are all great impacts on individuals. So fix up your bike, saddle up, and get out and be seen!

Keep warm,
-Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment